Watch the April 2016 1st Scene Screenplay Winner.
The Wedding Thief
Written by Brett Bacon
Genre: Comedy, Crime
A professional thief pilfers money from the super-rich at weddings until he is caught stealing from the Italian mob and then is forced to take a priceless work of art from the Russian mob or die trying.
Interview with Brett Bacon:
1. What is your screenplay about?
A disciplined thief who specializes in super-rich weddings must take on an unpredictable and madcap rival or else lose his criminal operation, get apprehended by the police and taken out by the mob.
2. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
It’s a fun blend of two popular movie genres: romantic comedy and the heist. And who doesn’t like weddings?
3. How would you describe this script in two words?
4. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
Enter the Dragon
5. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
6. How many stories have you written?
7. What motivated you to write this screenplay?
I love the idea of combining the excitement and suspense of a heist with the fun and tension of a romantic comedy.
8. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Making sure that each major character gets their due in terms of character development.
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Family, travel, fly-fishing, movies and reading.
10. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
I am a big fan of the Wildsound Festival and they have a great reputation. The feedback was very constructive and helpful. I felt that it was tough love– but not so tough that I wanted to jump off a bridge!
11. Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
Keep writing, never give up, don’t be afraid of taking risks and putting yourself out there.
Director/Producer: Matthew Toffolo
Casting Director: Sean Ballantyne
Editor: John Johnson